Same Love

If any of you have seen me watch any chick flick you'd know, I'm a sucker for love. Like complete hopeless romantic. It's understandable for people to get sappy over The Notebook, Titanic, Pearl Harbor, or basically any Nicholas Sparks movie, but um I used to think High School Musical 2 & 3 (the first one sucks) was one of the greatest love stories ever told. Or maybe I just loved Zac Efron, that's still up for debate. 



If the two lovebirds don't end up together at the end, I permanently remove that movie from my memory. I'm all about the happy endings. And I get it, life doesn't always work out the way you planned, but still I like to always hope for the best. 

For me, banning same-sex marriage is like one of those movies without a happy ending. Who's to say who you can and cannot love? I don't necessarily have the best track record with guys (and by that I mean I went through a rough Justin Bieber look-alike slash frat star stage) but my friends still accepted me and my interesting choice of men. Just because they weren't attracted to the same people, didn't mean they forbade me to sought after who I liked. Which I think should be true for everyone. I personally don't like the same sex but I'm not going to stop or judge anyone who does. If it's love it's love! 



But don't take it from me, take it from Macklemore. In an industry obsessed with "F***ing B**ches" and "getting money" Macklemore takes the time to stand up for what he believes is right. Recently I downloaded his song called "Same Love." (watch it here

It has some powerful lyrics. 

He begins by saying: 

"When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was gay, 'cause I could draw, my uncle was, and I kept my room straight." 

Our society is so invested in stereotypes. We think that just because a girl doesn't wear makeup or a guy shows emotion, they're automatically homosexual. The stigmatization of the LGBTQ community leads others to feel they have to change themselves to fit in. Seems likes  lose-lose situation to me. 

"The right wing conservatives thinks it's a decision, and you can be cured with some treatment and religion." 

What? Did some politicians decide to be white upper-class men with all of the privileges? No, they were born that way. So stop hating on those who are different from you. No one needs treatment for being themselves. It's those who conceal their true selves that need all the help they can get. 



"America the brave still fears what we don't know." 

Damn, Macklemore is a musical genius. He said it perfectly. Yesterday, the Supreme Court ruled the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional, which means the federal government now recognizes same-sex marriages legal in the states in which it has already passed. This also means that the couples in the 13 legalized states can now receive federal benefits. Although this is a huge step in the right direction, there's still a long way to go. It's because we're afraid of change. 

"And God loves all His children is somehow forgotten...When I was at church they taught me something else, if you preach hate at the service those words aren't anointed...whatever God you believe in we come from the same one"

All my life until college, I went to a private school. For years, I was taught "right" from "wrong" and unfortunately something that was categorized as "wrong" was gay marriage. I don't think religious beliefs should tear us apart. Isn't the whole message of the Bible to love one another?! To accept the oppressed? No matter what or who you believe in, I think that we can all come to the consensus that everyone deserves to be respected. It's like the saying "don't judge someone because they sin differently than you." In absolutely no way am I saying being gay is a sin, I was just connecting it to the phrase. Just because someone is different than us, doesn't mean that they are wrong. 

"Have you read the YouTube comments 'man that's gay' get's dropped on the daily, we become so numb to what we're saying." 

So true. I remember growing up, I'd think it was cool to say words like retarded, lame, gay. I didn't even think twice about it because I didn't realize it was offensive. I was numb. But now I know that words can be some of the most hurtful things out there. 



"Live on and be yourself."

Macklemore, will you marry me? 

"No freedom 'til we're equal, damn right I support it."

I repeat, will you marry me? 

"No law is gonna change us, we have to change us." 

I cannot be happier about the Supreme Court rulings yesterday, but he's right, laws can't change us. Just because slaves were legally free didn't stop people from abusing them physically and emotionally. It starts with us. 

"Strip away the fear, underneath it's all the same love." 

PREACH. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the best looks of the Golden Globes & where to get them for less

weekly wisdom

The Top 10 Hottest Majors for Guys