7 things I learned from the bachelorette

Let me start off by saying, I've never been a huge fan of The Bachelorette. I thought it was just a show about people making out on beaches (kinda true) until I started watching Emily Maynard's season. And then I was hooked. I'm not one for grand gestures of love in real life. IF I do say anything somewhat cute to a guy, it's either in a highly sarcastic tone, or followed by a million cheesy emoji's to get the point across that I don't actually mean it. But under that tough-girl front, I do have a heart. And when it comes to TV shows, books, and movies, it's a pretty big heart. Like damn. How cute was Chris' proposal to Des though?! ADORABLE. I can't even...




After watching Emily's and Des' seasons of The Bachelorette, I've realized I've learned a couple of things. First and foremost...


1. The Bachelorette is highly realistic. 
I don't know about you, but personally, I have 20 plus guys pursuing me at the same time. So naturally, like all the other bachelorettes, I cry a lot because it's such a rough life. And most people, like Emily and Des, have flawless hair and makeup especially when just rolling out of bed so don't worry- they're just like you and me. Not to mention, most of us have the resources to go on amazing dates in other countries. Pshh a trip to the Caribbean is just pocket change. Oh, and my closet is composed of millions of prom-esque dresses too that I wear on the daily. How did you know?! 

Alright, all joking aside, these are the life lessons I've learned thus-far. 

1. "Open your heart up to love".
Ahh, Christ Harrison. What a guy. Feeding us words of wisdom since day one. It's true though, if you want to find love- or lust, or a boyfriend, or a friend with benefits, etc- you gotta be open to it. It's so easy to put a guard up and not open up to people, but then how will you ever really get to know someone let alone fall in love with them? Keep in mind I said be open to love and new experiences not be desperate and clingly and obsessive. You'll find love when the time is right. Don't force it, crazy. 



2. Always be honest with yourself. 
We've all been there-- head-over-heels in love. It's important to keep a check on your feelings throughout the whole span of the relationship. In the beginning, he or she may be just what you're lookin for, but maybe as the relationship progresses, you realize they just aren't cuttin it or they don't have what you need for the future. Also, don't ignore things just because you're blinded by love. If something seems shady or a little off, it probably is. On the flip side, it's not fair to you, or the other person, if you're just holding on to someone just for the mere fact of having a significant other. If you want something hanging on your arm, invest in a purse. I've seen much cuter purses than boyfriends. I admire Des and Emily for cutting to the chase with a lot of the guys on the show. If they weren't serious about someone, they let them go right away instead of painfully dragging them through the process.  

3. Beware of those in it for the wrong reasons. 
Maybe they're a gold digger. Maybe they're just in it for a free birthday/Christmas/Valentine's Day present. Maybe they want to get to your friend instead. Or maybe they're just into you because of your looks. Whatever it is, there could be times when people aren't as transparent as you would like. Again, be honest with yourself and you'll most likely be able to determine if someone's a keeper or not. Chris, Des' fiance (YAYYY!) said time and time again that he was a skeptic of the show. Probs because so many people are in it for the fame. So yes, be a skeptic and be smart, but don't let that fear take over. 

4. First impression isn't everything. But don't screw up.
 And by don't screw up, I mean don't come dressed as a knight in shining armor like that one guy with Des. Or be the one who gets too drunk on the night of the show (or the first date). Remember Emily's season when Jef gracefully came rollin in on his skateboard? Mmm right from that moment I wanted them to be together. If your first impression doesn't turn out to be some grand entrance and actually turns into a disaster, don't sweat it too much. If Lindsay can pull off wearing a wedding dress the first night and can still make it to the final rounds with Sean, I think anyone can survive an awkward first encounter. 




5. Hang in there. 
Just because you aren't on someone's radar 24/7 doesn't mean you should give up. Don't let the competition get to ya. If you want something, fight for it! No, I don't mean throwing punches- stay classy for Pete's sake. What I'm saying is you might not always be number one on someone's list, but don't take that too personally. Lists change, and so do people. 

6. Heartbreak happens...

Can we just take a moment of silence to reflect back on Des and Brooks?......What a tear-jerker. What can we learn from it? Heartbreak happens. Period. There's no way to avoid it. Hey, it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved before, right? 

7. ...and so does love. <3 <3 
Despite the heartbreak, love happens too. I still get chills thinking about this season's finale of The Bachelorette, and maybe, just maybe, teared up when I saw the proposal. I know I'm a disgrace to, well everyone, but it's shows like these that make me believe in love. So if anyone knows any guys who will read me poetry, dress up in a suit, or call me beautiful, tell them to hit me up. Toootally kidding. 

I think I'll be just fine with making sarcastic remarks to guys instead of actually expressing my feelings for the timebeing. After all, marriage and a fairy tale ending is a loooong way off. We've got plenty of time to experience the butterflies, nerves, heartbreak, and everything inbetween on the "journey to find love" compared to those bachelorettes who only had 10 weeks. So make sure to distribute those roses wisely. Best of luck. xoxo

On second thought, where's Juan Pablo?! All of my roses are for you. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Free Apps

the best looks of the Golden Globes & where to get them for less

weekly wisdom